New York is one of the best places to have your internship during summer since it offers a lot of career opportunities and established businesses such as EUKU Marketing Agency and corporations. However, it is still not as easy as you would think it will be. It is New York, the largest city of the United States and living in it without anything in mind at all will be a disaster. Proper preparations and tips should be made to survive. After all, you need to do the best you could to make your internship successful and enjoy the city as bonus. So here’s what we have for you. Check it out!
Many students and interns come to New York City for a short time to take internships. And of course, the first thing to consider is availability of apartments to live and rent for. You can live at a college, in a student housing center or in a group accommodation that can set you up in a great location while fitting your budget.
These are the top and budget friendly student centers and university intern housing programs in NYC you can choose:
- Educational Housing Services (EHS)
- The Webster
- International House
- Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- Columbia University Summer Housing
- New York University Summer Program
- NYC Intern
Of course, interns need transportation to get to work so it is recommended if you don’t bring or buy a car. Use the public transportation be familiar with it. You can easily go somewhere you want to buy using the subway, bus or taxi. However, a taxi can be a bit expensive and stressful to hail that’s why subways and buses can do the job. Just make sure you have your monthly unlimited MetroCard pass as soon as you get into the city. These can be bought on vendo machines at $116.50. You can get a free map at any subway station booths to guide you or if not be sure to have Google map with always. Likewise, always wear comfortable shoes, bring your phone charger, business card, umbrella, and always check the seat and ticket before you hop on the ride.
As an intern, you’re budget is tough and you should always spare some money with you. It’s bad to have nothing in that large city especially when you need to eat and survive the hunger. NYC is an expensive place so be careful in buying food. We know you want to taste the delicious cuisines at the fancy restaurants but you’re not here to enjoy all that, you’re here to do the internship! These are the tips when budgeting your money in food expenses:
- Don’t make plans to meet at a restaurant it’s expensive.
- Don’t buy lunch every day. You can make brunch an alternative sometimes.
- If possible, cook and bring lunch and snacks to your work.
- Find cheap eats like pizza, fries, sandwiches, burrito, burger and food trucks around the corners. Also recommended cheap food shops like: Caracas, Blockheads, and Chelsea Market.
- You can buy cheap groceries at Farmer’s Market, Fairway or West Side Market.
Of course, you don’t want to miss the events, museums and entertainments in NYC during the weekend right? Well, as a tips, we recommend you to take advantage of the various free concerts and movie screenings that take place around the city.
- To never miss an event, check Time Out New York’s or Daily Candy NYC Weekend Guide constantly updated event calendar.
- To watch a Broadway show on the cheap, grab some student tickets.
- You can also go to central park for a run or with a blanket to picnic and lay out.
- Go to museums on discounted days like:
-The Metropolitan Museum of Arts which is free on Friday nights from 4-8pm.
-The Frick Museum is a “pay what you wish” museum which is open from 11-1pm on Sundays.
-The New Museum is free on Thursdays from 7-9pm.
-The Museum of Natural History with prices are suggested you can afford.
- CLOTHES AND PERSONAL BELONGINGS
Well, NYC life will be dull without spending shopping for your needs. Since all is pricey, you can buy your necessities as an intern at a reasonable price at department stores, dollar stores and Chain stores like H&M and Forever 21.
- Sometimes being an intern in NYC is tough. Don’t expect all to be easy just like the movies. Some don’t get paid reasonably and sometimes interns feel hopeless and lonely. New York is a place where you will make your dreams into a reality however, in order to make it happen, you need to become practical, wise, responsible and always manage your time properly to work and to yourself.
- Learn everything you can whole you are an intern, do not complain so easily with the hardwork if you want to get the job in the future. Also be respectful and efficient in your work.
- Create networks and connections while you are in NYC, they will help your internship successful and less tough. It’s better to have friends to confide for.